Chief Executive Officer
This is an exceptional opportunity for someone who has the experience, knowledge, energy and enthusiasm to lead Food for the Brain, a charity committed to increasing public awareness of the importance of nutrition in optimising the mental health and wellbeing of people of all ages. The person appointed will take the lead in running the charity, developing and delivering the charitable and educational objectives of Food for the Brain.
- To manage the day-to-day and strategic direction of the charity
- To lead the charity across all functions and keep its projects moving forward within an agreed timetable
- To build upon and manage good relations with trustees, stakeholders and potential donors, and to seek alliances with commercial, health professional, political and charitable partners
- To raise funds via a variety of income streams and explore possibilities, which support the objectives and budget goals in the plan
- To work with the communications manager to create and disseminate communications and events programmes, for both fundraising and educational purposes
- Leading a committed team of part-time employees, freelance contractors and volunteers
- Managing the organisation as a whole, including all income and expenditure and finance related matters, risk, governance and performance ensuring the organisation meets all its legal and regulatory requirements
- Developing annual strategic plans in collaboration with the Board of Trustees
- Leading, motivating and inspiring the team
- Promoting a collaborative and cohesive culture that supports personal growth and fulfilment of staff at all levels
- Supporting the Scientific Advisory Panel and Board of Trustees, by preparing papers for meetings and presenting quarterly reports on progress and setting detailed annual budgets for sign off by the Board
- Writing and preparing Annual Charity Commission Reports
- Reporting annually to the Charity Commission and ensuring all relevant insurances and policies are in place
- Maintaining good working relationship with external suppliers and partners
- Liaising with external accountants and auditors to help with preparation of Annual Accounts
- Working with accountant to maintain accurate monthly financial reporting and planning
- Maintaining positive relationships with stakeholders and donors, and developing affiliations with other related organisations.
- Overseeing the charity’s key programmes and corporate services, which include our Step Forward Fund, our work in Alzheimer’s prevention, corporate wellbeing and catering accreditation
- Developing and driving fundraising, including for a recently launched ‘Step Forward’ fund helping low-income individuals to access nutritional therapy to support better mental health.
- Working to develop other not-for-profit income streams from existing digital tools, events and catering accreditation, as well as from new opportunities.
- Working with the Communications Manager to deliver an annual marketing plan that supports the focus on individuals, organisations and health professionals
- Addressing fundraising, communications and education objectives, using both traditional and digital approaches, as well as overseeing the website and social media sites
- Working with the Communications Manager to continuously improve the website and user experience
- Overseeing all projects, by working with project managers to ensure deadlines are met
- Overseeing all functions of the organisation including processes and systems to support each area
Currently, the post is for the equivalent of 1 day a week with flexibility in how this is delivered. Depending on the postholder’s success in increasing the charity’s finances, the hours could be increased. (Only 1 paid day a week is possible at this point)
Salary (pro rata) will depend on previous experience and qualifications, but will be in the region of £38,000 to £40,000.
Required Skills and Attributes:
- A passion for health and nutrition, combined with knowledge and passion relating to the key role of nutrition for mental health
- Experience of working at a strategic and operational level driving success
- Experience of overseeing all functions; sales and marketing, finance, product, operations, human resources
- Sound understanding of finance; P&L’s, budgeting, forecasting, reporting
- Experience of dealing with multiple tasks, sensitivities and challenges at the same time
- Experience and ability to provide input and make decisions at all levels is imperative
- A confident, dynamic and motivated individual who enjoys exercising their initiative and is stimulated by working on multiple priorities at the same time
- The ability to manage and influence a wide range of stakeholders
- An excellent communicator, both written and verbal, with strong IT skills
- An ability to develop fundraising campaigns and secure funding
- Experience of leading and motivating a small team of people
- Experience and ability to provide input and make decisions at all levels
Desirable Skills and Attributes:
- A qualification in nutrition science or nutritional therapy
- Understanding of charity finance
- A knowledge of digital marketing and sales experience
- An understanding and experience of charitable operations, or social enterprise approaches.
Location: currently remote, but a preference for London, UK based professionals
Please send a cover letter and your CV to email@example.com with the subject line as: CEO application